OUR MISSION AND THE STORY SO FAR
Our mission is to save this historic building and turn it into a vibrant and sustainable community asset. This will be run by the community, for the community and there is widespread support for this project. The Town Hall was closed two years ago due to lack of basic maintenance and repair. This had a big impact on groups who used this building and since then the Island has been struggling with the lack of a suitable large venue. Residents have been asking what is to happen and why not save what is a large building which could be turned into an asset for the Island with some renovations, alterations and creative thinking. There have been many ideas put forward and support so far has stretched right across the globe to Australia and New Zealand.
We are currently undertaking a feasibility study to ensure if we go ahead with this project it will indeed be a viable asset for the future. We are indebted to the support we are being given by Highlands and Islands, the Architectural Heritage Fund, Development Trust Association Scotland (DTAS) and North Ayrshire Council. We are also grateful to Cumbrae Community Council who are acting as our umbrella body until we become a Charity in our own right.UPDATE! AUGUST '18 - Support is growing!
UPDATE! DECEMBER '18 - FUNDING AWARDED FOR OUR FEASIBILITY STUDY!
UPDATE! JANURY '19 - OUR CONSULTANT AND ARCHITECTS HAVE STARTED THE FEASIBILITY STUDY!
- The numbers who have joined CUMBRAE LOTTERY get bigger every week
- A Solicitor has done some pro bono work for us - he remembers the Town Hall from his childhood days
- Morrisons Supermarket have donated us some vouchers for our first fundraising social event
- A supporter from the mainland has made a huge donation of T shirts, badges, posters, a table top banner for events and marketing literature
- Kenneth Gibson MSP has voiced his support and has proudly worn his Save Millport Town Hall badge